Baking Again

Thursday 12 April 2007


Owen went to a friends this morning while I did my orders, and then this afternoon we went out for a little drive to a florist wholesalers. Didn't buy much as they really didn't have much that took my fancy - but did get some plants for the garden!

So I then suggested that we did some baking together - as I felt that was far more beneficial than Owen playing a computer game!

I bought Green & Blacks chocolate recipe book the other day...and this was a recipe form there:
Banana and White Chocolate Cake
(except mine does not have any white chocolate! In fact you do not need chocoalte for this)
175g 6oz unsalted butter
175g 6oz caster sugar (I used ordinary!)
3 large eggs
2 ripe bananas mashed (I added 3)
250g 9oz self raising flour (sifted)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven 180c 350f gas mark 4 - you will need to prepare two 7 inch tins

Cream butter and sugar and then beat in the eggs, then beat in the mashed banana. Fold in flour and baking powder. Divide mix between two tins and bake for 40 minutes.

Now in the recipe book they suggest
for the filling:- slicing two bananas thinly and toss in the juice of a lemon. add 1 tablespoon of rosewater to 150ml of creme fraiche, spread on cake and add the banana slices.

For the topping:- 250g good quality white chocolate and 40g (1 1/2) unsalted butter, melt in a bowl suspended over hot water, then spread over the top, and let it dribble down the sides.

My toppings
Well I did neither, I did two versions by cutting it in half! - one I sandwiched together with jam, and dribbled icing over made with 3oz icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a runnyish mix. (this was my fav)

The other I sandwiched with chocolate butter icing (the cake was still too warm to do this - but Owen was keen to taste!) and covered with chocolate as above but used plain and not white as I didn't have any - this version was chosen by Owen!

I reckon this was a great cake and as I love dried fruit I would add sultanas (I added a few but should have added more). Perfect for using black bananas!
I did manage another card for the stamp challenge today:

1 comment

  1. I will not bake that cake.........I'd just eat it all.....gosh it looks yummy.
    I'd go for the jam one I think.
    Cute card.....love the spotty paper.

    ReplyDelete

My Chat & That © . Design by Berenica Designs.