Red Cabbage

Thursday 10 March 2011


DH is a pickled cabbage fan so thought I would give this a go. I don't really understand all the difference between all the different vinegars, so for a first go - I used standard brown malt vinegar. The recipe is dead easy.

Basically you chop the cabbage finely put layers in a colander with salt, and leave over night for some of the liquid to come out. Give it a rinse. Pack loosely into sterilised jars and top with the cool vinegar.

Pickle your vinegar - I used 1 tablespoon of pickling spices and 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar to 1 pint of vinegar, simmer for about 5 minutes and let it cool, and strain.

Apparently you need to eat within a couple of months otherwise the cabbage will lose its crunch.

Post a Comment

My Chat & That © . Design by Berenica Designs.