Fruit Scones - Recipe

Tuesday 28 July 2020





On the family tree forum we like to have a natter about life as well as family tree research, and today someone mentioned how she had fruit scones on a day out sometime ago, I just really fancied one.

I never know which recipe to do so I searched around and found this one special fruit scones, I like the savoury ones with an egg, so decided to search around for the same with fruit.

75g butter, chilled and cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
350g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
30g caster sugar
75g sultanas
about 150ml milk
2 large eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C/425°F/Gas 7)

I rubbed in the butter with the flour and baking powder, added sugar and fruit, then using a fork I mixed in the milk, and some of the egg mix, then added a bit more so that there was some left.  The mixture wasn't too wet.

I have 2 cutters and have measured them now - one is 3 inches and the other 2 1⁄2 inches, I actually did some of each.  The 3 inch on you will only get about 6 or 7.  I ended up with 3 large and 5 small.
I feel I need a 2 ¾ inch cutter!

I also didn't roll out the dough just flattened with hand which was fine.

They needed more than 10 mins in my oven (more like 15) - but used the top which is a bit iffy, as other half was cooking a casserole in big oven!

Post a Comment

My Chat & That © . Design by Berenica Designs.