Pattern Weights - how to make them & cake

Monday 13 July 2020



It was my son's girlfriends birthday today and she is getting into dressmaking.  I thought I would have a go at making pattern weights.  I searched around the internet and after much wandering around, I thought I would just make them the same as I do a lavender pouch.

I have some weights here that were a present - so weighed them and each were 75gms.  I bought some aquarium grit, as I didn't fancy rice, thinking of them maybe getting wet, and also thinking of bugs!

I cut 6 1/4 inch x 3 inch, then fold in half right side together, start to sew one side, and just before corner tuck in 2cm of ribbon folded, then sew down other side.

Open out bottom and place together to make humbug shape. I then sew a little way in on each side, leaving the middle open.

Turn rights sides out, push the raw edges in and I like to iron at this stage as easier to sew closed, fill with gravel.  I then sew with machine - I can move my needle to side and can just manage it.

If you like them super full, and want to hand sew, reduce to 6 x 2 3/4 inches

I thought they are better machine sewn (and I don't like hand sewing) as they are 'heavy' and felt could be dropped etc.  Everyone on the internet seemed to hand sew. 

Then of course I had to make a little drawstring bag to put them in - that way they can be hung up too.


I also made a vanilla cake with Kinder Bueno and Ferrero Rocher chocolates on top!


On a separate note Country Matters Hexton is planning to open its doors after a massive tidy up, and repainting of various dressers, and we thought in the light of Covid the products would be better wrapped - so I have been busy preparing my wares - these are all wrapped - lots more to do, but am pleased with the results.


Gravel was this from amazon

Post a Comment

My Chat & That © . Design by Berenica Designs.